Yesss its officially the long awaited time of the year-SUMMER! I am so pumped to have more time in my life to spend however I wish. Here in Southern California, the June gloom is just wearing off and the heat has come in full force. It’s temping to stay inside and chill while watching Netflix all day, but I for one know that gets old after awhile. Here’s a bucket list for your summer of 2017 that can free you from boredom and make the break one to remember…
- Find a summer job and make $$$: For me, this was an obvious because I have a tendency to want to do a lot of things, but end up not having enough to spend. To really have fun this summer and go out a lot, it’s time to learn how to be independent and support yourself while realizing that everything has a price.
- Explore your local area: There’s going to come a time where you will leave your community and go off on your own to figure out your life one day. For some people like, after graduating high school, we will not be living in the same city that we grew up in. Make it a priority to go out at least once a week and visit a hidden gem in your city you may have never seen. You could also do all the fun touristy things and be surprised at how little you actually know about the place you have live in for years.
- Actually read all the books you sparknoted throughout the school year: This may blow your mind, but your teacher didn’t just randomly assign you to read all those books in one year. She or he saw lesson or morals in the novel that were worth teaching a perhaps, even life changing to high school students. There’s always that one or maybe few books that you couldn’t get through to save your life (for me it was Grapes of Wrath) but maybe, just maybe, you could read the other novels and gain some important insight and (this may sound crazy) even enjoy them!
- Create a workout regimen: Monday= leg day, Wednesday= abs, Friday= arms, etc. If you make a workout plan, you may feel more motivated to get yourself up and go to the gym or pick up those weights at home. Exercise is a great way to start the day and give you energy for other activities. Not to mention, summer is the perfect time to work on toning your body and getting the abs you’ve always desired. I would start slow and not set unrealistic goals, but hey, a little exercise goes a long way. Get those gains!
- Find a new hobby: Summer is the best time to experiment and find out more about your passions and talents. This is the best time to finally pick up something that has interested you, whether it’s a sport, instrument, or finding recipes to cook something new! The possibilities are endless.
- Have “me” days: Sometimes it’s best to be selfish and have days dedicated only to you. Make sure to schedule where you can relax and focus on discovering more about yourself and who you are as a person. It’s important to be alone with your thoughts and it’s nice to experience some downtime while you can.
- Spend time outside: Be one with nature this summer and go on a hike! Travel the world to experience other cultures or even take a trip to a hidden gem in your local area. Go on a roadtrip with your friends and feel the freedom of the outdoors. The world has so much to offer and every destination is worth the journey.
- Spend time with people who make you happy: Have a family night or take a trip with your closest friends. It’s important to spend time with the people you truly love and celebrate those who have had such an immense impact on your life. Time is never wasted when spent building unbreakable bonds with others and making memories that will last a lifetime with people you hold so close to your heart.